Leaky pipes & drippy faucets:
A water leak under your home, shut off the main valve to your house. Usually you will find the main valve outside, and near, the front hose faucet. If a fixture leaks, simply turn off the valve to that faucet.
If a fixture stops up, try another fixture in the house to determine if the stoppage is general or just in that one spot. Tell the licensed plumber when you call. It will help determine the equipment needed to fix the problem quickly.
Municipal water rates are rising. Proper home water management can negate an impact to your pocketbook without any noticeable difference in lifestyle.
- Repair leaking or dripping faucets, as soon as possible.
- Replace toilet flappers every three years.
- Replace older shower heads with new, low-flow devices.
- Don't remove aerators from taps.
- Air dry dishes in dishwasher.
- We can assist you in choosing the most efficient and cost-effective conservation devices.
Water heaters fail for many reasons. The most common are: 1) the heater element fails, or 2) the unit begins to leak as a result of corrosion. If you have water heater failure, take these measures first, then call us.
Turn off the electricity or gas to the unit. On electric heaters, turn off the power at the fuse box. For gas, the valve is near the heater.
Close the water valve located at the top of the tank.
Connect a garden hose to the drain valve at the bottom of the tank and turn on the valve. Once this is done, turn on a hot water faucet inside the house. The tank will then drain.
Each year, thousands of people are seriously burned from ordinary tap water. In most instances it occurs with children under the age of 5 and adults, 65 years and older.
It takes only one second for a third degree burn to occur on children in water of 140 degrees, and 10 seconds in water of 130 degrees. Most water heaters are set between 130 and 140 degrees. Prevent a tragedy:
- Set water heater to 120 degrees
- Check bath water temperature before bathing children or letting elders in the tub.
- Never leave children unattended in the tub.
- Install an anti-scalding device in the bathroom shower.